November’s the time of year for spending quality time with family and friends and thinking about all the things for which we’re most thankful. Be sure to show your gratitude with a hostess gift, if you’ve been invited to someone else’s home for this year’s Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving celebration. Sometimes, it can be difficult to know what to get for a hostess gift, but our experts at Moravian Florist, serving the Staten Island area, put together a list of clever and thoughtful hostess gifts.
Why It’s Important to Remember a Host Gift
You should never arrive at a special dinner, like Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving, without a gift for your host. It’s the politest way to show your appreciation of their hospitality and invitation. Even if you’re going to a potluck-style dinner, you should still bring a gift. Planning, organizing, and preparing one’s home for guests still requires plenty of work — even if someone else is bringing the sweet potatoes.
Find a Great Gift for Your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving Host
Friendsgiving is like Thanksgiving but reserved just for friends. It’s usually scheduled for a day when everyone’s available, like the Wednesday before or after Thanksgiving Day. With just friends, it’s a less formal meal, and fun is always on the table.
- Candles that smell like the best parts of the holidays (pie)
- Make it feel more like Thanksgiving Day with a festive floral arrangement
- A game to play after dinner
- Fuzzy socks to keep your friend’s feet warm all winter
- Funny fridge magnets
- A yoga matt to promote health through the holidays
- Bath bombs so your friend can unwind after everyone’s gone home
2. Thanksgiving with Your In-Laws
Fall Celebration Centerpiece
Box of Chocolates
A hostess gift for your in-laws is important, whether you’ve known them for years or will be meeting them for the first time on Thanksgiving. Choose a tasteful item that will convey your gratitude with sincerity. After all, they’re inviting you into their home, family, and holiday traditions.
- An expensive bottle of wine paired with a new opener, wine charms, or an aerator
- An elegant centerpiece with candles to create a warm ambiance at dinner
- A sleek essential oil diffuser paired with a nice holiday scent
- Whiskey stones with a bottle of locally distilled spirits
- High-quality serving utensils that are always needed on Thanksgiving Day
- A pretty box or chocolates or macaron cookies
- A stylish cheeseboard with cheese knives and markers
3. Thanksgiving with Your Family
Show your parents and grandparents what a great job they did raising you by arriving at Thanksgiving with a gift for your host or hostess. Choose something that they’ll love or bring something that’ll make everyone’s Thanksgiving Day more enjoyable.
- Activities for the kids, like a not-too-messy holiday craft project
- A homemade pie baked in a festive, keepsake pie plate
- Hydrating hand soap to prevent the spread of holiday germs
- Sparkling cider, so everyone has something fancy for toasts
- Gourmet coffee to brew with dessert
- A pack of holiday cookie cutters and festive sprinkles
- A set of decorative and festive kitchen towels
When in Doubt, Bring Flowers
If you’re still not sure what to get for your host or hostess, flowers and potted plants are always appropriate and appreciated. We recommend selecting a potted plant to which can be enjoyed for years to come or a bouquet that has already been trimmed and arranged, so your hostess won’t have to find the time to do it herself, during busy hosting. For additional help or personalized recommendations regarding how to show your appreciation and gratitude, we welcome you to stop by our Moravian Florist showroom today.